Crossbones Graveyard

Some 15,000 bodies were buried here before the 1850s, many of them prostitutes. Known as ‘Winchester Geese’ (as they were only allowed to work in the diocese of the Bishop of Winchester), these women could not be buried in consecrated ground. The spot is still dedicated to the ‘Outcast Dead’.

Redcross Way SE1

Running to London Bridge, Borough High Street was the only road to London from southern England, Dover and the main pilgrimage route to and from Canterbury. In 1836, the land used by coaching inns for grazing horses became the site for London’s first railway station.

Tube: London Bridge / Borough

Any comments - or a suggestion for a London secret? Please e-mail me.


Redcross Garden

Set up in 1888, by Octavia Hill, co-founder of the National Trust, the garden was a green space for one of London’s poorest areas. Behind the garden is a set of model cottages Ms Hill designed as an alternative to the disease ridden tenements of the time.

Redcross Way SE1

Borough Market

Famous for its organic foods, Borough Market has been on its present site for 250 years (and nearby for 2,000 years). Now familiar from many films, and suffering in quality from its popularity, it is open on Thursdays from 11am to 5pm, Fridays from noon to 6pm and Saturdays from
9am to 4pm.

Southwark Street SE1

Kings Arms

In 1728, these Arms of George II were put up on the gatehouse of old London Bridge. When the bridge was widened in 1760, the year George III came to the throne, they found their way to this street (altered to read GIII) and then the front of Kings Arms pub. The Supporters are very virile.

Newcomen Street SE1
Tel: +44 (0)20 7407 1132

George Inn

The last of London’s galleried coaching inns, serving the pilgrim route to Canterbury, the George is now owned by the National Trust. Thronged in summer, when its outside tables are packed, it’s a maze of small rooms full of character. Shakespeare once visited as did Dickens, who refers to it in Little Dorrit.

77 Borough High Street SE1
Tel: +44 (0)20 7407 2056

King Alfred The Great

Thought to be the oldest free-standing statue in London, heavily restored through the centuries, this portrait of (what is thought to be) Alfred The Great was moved here in 1822 from Westminster. Alfred became king in 871. He united England, founded St Paul’s, rebuilt London’s walls and drove off the Vikings.

Trinity Church Square SE1

The Hop Exchange

Lying on the road from the hop fields of Kent, Borough was the home of London brewing from the 17th century onwards. This Hop Exchange was built in 1868 and designed by RH Moore. It lost its top two floors in a fire in 1920 but the imposing Great Hall under its glass roof remains.

Southwark Street SE1

Southwark War Memorial

Sculptor Philip Lindsey Clark (1889-1977) was a Captain during WWI, winning a DSO, before going back to study at the Royal Academy. This work of 1924 shows a soldier tramping through mud, while reliefs on each side show a biplane dogfight and a naval battle. A weeping wife and mother decorate the reverse.
Borough High Street SE1